Mickayla,

I really enjoyed reading about your experiences with different learning theories. It is interesting that we had different experiences but feel similarly in that constructivism and cognitivism allow for more intrinsic motivation. In cases such as your experience with behaviourism, I too find it extremely difficult to be motivated when you do not feel connected to the material. I like the strategies you listed and also find that creating to-do lists helps me stay on top of my work. I am interested in learning more about your “inspiration and correlation” lists! I also thought it was extremely cool that your example of cognitivism was from your own personal learning rather than in a classroom environment. This proves the importance of motivation when it comes to learning. I am glad you mentioned inquiry projects because I believe that depending on how the teacher structures the project, it could include each learning theory mentioned in the article. I am a huge fan of inquiry because it allows students to have a choice in their learning, resulting in more interest and motivation. At the end of the day we want our students to enjoy their learning experience and I believe inquiry can lead them to this.

I agree with you that each of the three learning theories has a place and time in the classroom. I think behaviourism is tricky and must be integrated in a very delicate way. If there are any suggestions on the best way to implement behaviourism into the classroom I would be very interested to learn more! I am really glad you mentioned motivation because this is something I feel very strongly about. The article by Brokenleg and Bockern breaks down the importance of meeting students needs, allowing for intrinsic motivation. This youtube video by Brokenleg helps further explain the connection between the Circle of Courage and the First Nations Principles for learning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgrfCVCt_A I think about how hard it would be for a student to focus on learning if one of their needs is not met, so teachers must be aware of this and help their students get to a place where they are able to learn.

Megan,

I am really happy you mentioned your discomfort when reading about behaviourism because I felt very similar. Prior to taking ED-D 301 and EDCI 303 I thought a reward system made sense, as I had experienced many of them growing up. Earning class points for a “pizza party” seemed like a great way to motivate students to do well. However, I now recognize that this is not the kind of motivation we want our students to have. It was interesting to read Ertmer and Newby’s writing in such a neutral way rather than in the negative way it has been presented in previous courses. My question to you is that I wonder if you find any benefits to the behaviourist approach after reading the article, or if your opinion has changed at all?

I also find it very interesting that you mention the difference in online learning compared to face-to-face. I find that in classrooms I have observed, behaviourism has been the most noticeable learning theory out of the three, but could see this being difficult online. How would you provide appropriate consequences? I am not a huge fan of the behaviourist model myself, so I wonder if the experience of online learning will change approaches in the traditional classroom setting. I wonder if Ertmer and Newby would argue one specific learning theory to be superior to the others in an online environment, as they did not in a traditional setting? Very interesting to think about, thank you for bringing up this topic!